Friday, March 28, 2008

The Hill District


We’re off for a week’s holiday in the Lake District. For the benefit of my one regular American visitor (and here I’m using “regular” in the sense of “reasonably frequent” rather than “average”, because Bob’s from Iowa, and who the hell knows what’s average for Iowa?) I should explain that the Lake District is a district in England where there are a lot of lakes.

And hills. It could quite justifiably be called the Hill District. But it isn’t, so let’s not waste any more time on that one. What most people do when on holiday in the Lake District is climb the hills and look down at the lakes, unless they can’t be bothered, in which case they sit by the lakes and look up at the hills.

Of course, if you actually live and work in the Lake District it’s likely that you ignore the hills and lakes and just complain that it rains all the time, which it does. Hence the lakes. And the clever name.

Anyway, it’s a place I love. If you can handle slightly demanding hill walking (the kind of walking where you might have to use your hands occasionally – the guidebooks call it a “scramble”) it’s quiet and still, and the air tastes like spring water, and there’s nowhere on the planet I’d rather be.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That actually sounds like some of my favorite places in Iowa. Though much of the state is made up of the gently rolling hills where we put our corn fields, not every place is like that. At Backbone State Park, there area cliffs that are easily lethal to the casual falling person. In between, there are the nice hills, rivers, and forests.

When I get around to being dead, I hope my body can go un-found out in one of these natural areas.

Anonymous said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lB6BiGblKA

Hey Bob - watch (and listen!) to this. Some guy called Matt Ord. Son of Dave. The fucker made my son give up guitar!

Suzie

Anonymous said...

Considering where the Appalachian Mountains got all their immigrants you have to expect some British foundation for country and hillbilly music.
I don't know why your son would be compelled to give up the guitar, Suzie. If he really wants to get back to the six-string he has my permission to find who ever is responsible and give a swift kick to the soft spots.
If he doesn't want to go back to the guitar (or kick anyone) I recommend the Mountain Dulcimer. It's a beautiful instrument, even when I play it.

LibertyBob